Monday, January 16, 2012

I'll Probably Decide to Delete This By Tomorrow

I've always kind of liked minesweeper. I find that there's something kind of soothing about using simple logic to avoid certain (virtual) doom.

There's just one problem: I used to really suck at it.
Like 33% win rate kind of suck.
Really bad.

Then last week I finally figured out how to flag mines (you right click, FYI), and after losing a few games by accidentally left clicking on a mine I was trying to flag, I found myself winning almost every game.

It was such a small peice of the puzzle, but without it, winning more than 50% of the time was a pretty much hopeless endeavor. And then I started thinking: What if real life were like this? What if there were just some "little peice" that was holding me back? Would I change it? Would I be able to? If not, would I even want to know?

Then I remembered: that was computer land, and this is here. So I don't have to even wonder.
It was the first time I was ever thankful that life is more complicated than a computer.

1 comment:

  1. I know, I could never figure out how to win Minesweeper until I found out about flagging mines (which wasn't all that long ago either). Once I found that out I also enjoyed the use of simple logic to beat the game.

    That's a good question though -- a very good question. I think it's probably what I've been working through for the past four months or so, just not stated so succinctly. Thanks for rephrasing it. :-)

    Also, don't delete this. It's good. I like it.

    ReplyDelete