Saturday, August 6, 2011

Blogging my Nervous Breakdown

Ok...so I'm going to go sing and play a couple songs in front of a hall full of people who've never heard me sing before. Using an unfamiliar guitar.

But it's okay, because they're all your family. If you screw up, they probably won't care too much...

I already know I'm not the most skillful person here...my cousin's way better.

It doesn't matter,  you're not the worst person here either, and she's been doing this for way longer than you have. People will appreciate the effort.

I'm singing out of key. HOLY CRAP. I'm. SINGING. OUT OF KEY. And this is only the sound check. How am I EVER going to get through this?!?! Abort mission! Abort, I say!

If you want to ever be able to live your dream of doing this for a huge audience of strangers, You're going to have to get over all this and play for your family today.

Maybe I should rethink this dream of mine...

No, no. You're going to sing and you're going to rock it. Okay, time for a pep talk:

Try not to screw up too much, but if you do, it's okay. Your family will still love you. Maybe.

Oh, goodness. I'm not very good at this, am I?! Thanks for trying, little voice in my head.

5 comments:

  1. Is this going on today? That's kind of how it reads...
    Anyway, if it's not to late for me to say it... GO BRITTNEY!!! :-D

    (I do have to say though, you do an expert job of writing down everything that happens in my head -- I've been going through this for two weeks now freaking out about my special music for the church...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was today, I wrote this just after the soundcheck. It was a weird experience for me because I usually don't get stage fright but I had a really bad case of it today...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So how did it go then?
    I kind of understand how odd that feels -- I have no problem going onstage and dancing, acting, or singing (with at least one other person); but singing solo terrifies the living daylights out of me. I find it kind of strange.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, what does the little voice in your head sound like?
    ...and because I have to "Don't worry, you'll do great!"

    ReplyDelete