Friday, September 2, 2011

Post-Haircut Weirdness

So I did something today that I've always wanted to do.

I cut my hair really, really short. I went from about ten inches long to a pixie cut.

I kind of figured that if I hated it, I could just go buy a wig to wear until it grows out. Luckily, it looks awesome (I'm not saying it to brag, but I just love my new look).

However, there's some weirdness that comes with a really dramatic makeover. First, there's the feeling that there's something missing up there. Your head just feels lighter. It sounds really weird, but it's true. Then there's the fact that your brain still expects the hair to be there after it's gone. I only came home from the salon about four hours ago, and I've caught myself reaching for my non-existant ponytail once already. Also, people stare. I forget that I've had my hair cut until some one walks into the room and stares at me.

But the weirdest thing has to be how much I've stared at myself. I can't help but stare at any reflective surface: mirrors, windows, the powered down computer screen. It's just so weird. Honestly, I can't even describe how weird it is to look at yourself in the mirror after a big makeover. You have to experience it. The closest thing I can say is that it's like you don't recognize your reflection. It's like "Hey! Who's that person wearing my clothes?...oh yeah." maybe not exactly. Like I said, you have to experience it to know what I mean.

Hopefully I'll get used to this soon, I'm getting kind of sick of having these out of body experiences with the mirror; it's creeping me out just a little... :S

1 comment:

  1. That sounds cute! Looking forward to seeing pictures sometime.
    I totally understand all that post-haircut stuff though -- I cut my hair really short every year right after the dance show in June and there's still three days of 'wow, that totally doesn't look like me...' I kind of enjoy it though.
    (Speaking of being creeped out, wait until you wake up tomorrow morning having completely forgotten about it until you look in the mirror and go 'What the heck? Why do I look so weird?! ...oh yeah.")

    ReplyDelete