Thursday, April 14, 2011

Job Hunting and Finals: Do Not Mix

I'm sort of dude-like in my tendency to like to focus on one thing at a time. Seriously, I cannot multitask.
Unfortunately, though, exams are in April which, coincidentally, is the same month that you have to apply for summer jobs. Right now, I've applied at two places and I have an offer from one, except I'm pretty sure I'm the only applicant for the other job. Of the two, the one with the work I'm most excited about doing pays significantly less, and I need to know which job I want by monday. Unfortunately, all this is on top of the two exams I need to write on Saturday and the one on Monday, which, coincidentally, is also the day I need to tell Company A (the well paying job I have a solid offer for) what my decision is. Usually, I would put everything on hold just to ponder a decision like this, but that's not really an option right now. I'm totally freaking out. I can't even study because I'm so distracted by the prospect, and I can't even push it temporarily out of my head to finish finals because I have to have a decision made by Monday...this is SO stressful!! There are rumors that if you fail your finals, you'll fail the course. With all of this going on right now, I better hope those are false. And on top of all that, I'm scared that the job I choose will fall through and I'll end up with neither. I'll have four months of sitting on the couch doing nothing. Which would REALLY suck. I'm starting to come to the conclusion that I'm one of those theoretically smart people that kind of suck at real life. Oh well, I guess I can use the money I make from whichever job I end up taking to buy a shack in the woods and become a recluse, mad scientist or something...maybe I'll invent something worthwhile and then my insanity will at least serve a purpose...
Anyway, it felt good to get that out. Hopefully I didn't alienate any one too much with that little outburst.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds horrible! I kind of know how you feel though... my grandmother has decided that I am going to get a job at Tim Horton's two weeks ago and is literally calling or emailing me every single day asking if I have a job yet. (Rant most likely forthcoming on my blog if she keeps it up much longer...)
    If they're both part-time you could maybe do both, but that would probably be pretty stressful as well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you intend to get a job, or is she just deciding that you should have one? Also, why Tim Horton's?
    Unfortunately, they're both full time, so it's looking like I'll have to choose one or the other.
    To make matters worse, one parent is telling me I'm working to pay my tuition while the other says I'm working strictly for spending money, so I don't even know if money's an object. I only want to work so I'll have a decent looking resume for when I try to get a real job after I graduate...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I am thinking of adding a couple more part-time gigs (I've already got two), but yes, she's pretty much decided that I need a full-time job right flipping NOW. Don't ask me why she's decided it has to be at Tim Horton's though...
    I hate it when that happens. I mean, I'm indecisive enough as it is without other people also being conflicted about it. You might need to get both parents together and ask them directly what the money's for while they're both listening and the three of you can decide...

    ReplyDelete