Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Redo!

I've been thinking a lot lately about what I could have /should have done differently over the course of my life so far. Not so much to make myself regret the things I've done so far, but more to recognize those choices as mistakes so I don't remake them in the future. Because I don't really feel like doing my homework, I've decided to instead post the list online for everyone to see. Because that is apparently my masochistic brand of fun. So without further ado:

REWIND: 12 years.
WHAT I'D TELL ME: Don't give up on piano lessons! Practice! A lot. You'll use it later.

REWIND: 10 years.
WHAT I'D TELL ME: Look. I know you hate swimming lessons, but you're going to nearly drown three times and have to be rescued by friends over the course of your future life before you give up swimming for your own safety. If you learn to like it, you might be able to save yourself some embarrassment...

REWIND: 9 years.
WHAT I'D TELL ME: I know you don't want to be a walking Hollister bilboard and I still completely respect that choice. However, that doesn't mean that wearing gigantic neon t-shirts is a good idea. Please stop.

REWIND: 6 years.
WHAT I'D TELL ME: Also? Lose the charity jelly bracelets. I know you think it looks cool to wear 14 of them at once, but the key to being both charitable and likable is to not make a show of what you're doing...

REWIND: 5 years.
WHAT I'D TELL ME: Yes, you're an awkward geek, but this year, everyone else is, too. If you think the other kids are judging you, they probably are, but they're all just as lame, so whatever. Also, the fight you're having with your best friend is going to end eventually, so just chill about it in the meantime.

REWIND: 4 years.
WHAT I'D TELL ME: You're starting guitar lessons. Allow yourself to enjoy them and practice a lot. It'll kill at first, but the pain will go away and you'll get good at it. Also, people don't think you're as lame as you think they think you are.

REWIND: 2 years.
WHAT I'D TELL ME: Your counselor told you that you wouldn't need biology. FOR THE LOVE OF ICE CREAM, DON'T LISTEN TO HER!!!!!!!

Of course, at no point would past me listen to a vision of myself from the future, if anything, I'd probably have myself interned at a mental hospital, but it's nice to pretend that doing this would make some sort of difference...and actually, my regrets are not as numerous or grave as I thought they would be...

2 comments:

  1. 'FOR THE LOVE OF ICE CREAM DON'T LISTEN TO HER!!!!'
    THAT is funny. I will totally make that phrase part of my vocabulary now. :-)

    Also, this made me laugh:
    'Because I don't really feel like doing my homework, I've decided to instead post the list online for everyone to see. Because that is apparently my masochistic brand of fun.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I <3 you, buddy ^_^
    I remember when you guys were fighting, that was weird
    It's also pretty cool to look at your list and think that I've known you for all that time
    And oh, LOL, those neon t-shirts (not that my fashion sense was much better, but...)

    ReplyDelete