Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Gone Fishin'

Yesterday, my uncle took me fishing. We climbed into a little boat with a motor attatched to the end, and off we sped into the ocean. After what was probably the most exciting 20 minutes I've ever spent in a boat, we stopped.

My uncle unwound the fishing line, which ended in a lure about the size of my palm. Then he realised we were out of bait. He called out to the other boat that was fishing next to us to throw him some bait. THWAP! A small squid landed right next to me, which my uncle's friend (who was in the boat with us) took and cut into peices. My uncle took a piece and put it on the hook.

He told me that once a fish was hooked on, he was going to give the line to me to reel in. I'd wanted to ride in the boat, but the only way he'd let me was if I at least tried to catch a fish. So I agreed. After about two minutes, there was something hooked.

I started to pull in the line which was actually a harder task than you'd assume. It feels a lot lighter than you would think it would, but the line is so slippery when it's wet that it's hard to get a grip. I started balling up the line to prevent it from slipping. "No, don't ball the line up!" my uncle called out. I let go, and to my surprise, started to get the hang of it after a while. After what seemed like forever, my uncle took the line back and pulled up the biggest fish I'd ever seen in my life.

I was shocked. The fish was easily half my size. "Oh My Goodness, it's huge!" I exclaimed. My uncle laughed. "So, what are we catching? Salmon?" I asked after a pause. "Nah, codfish. I wish it were salmon." My uncle laughed again.

Before too long, there was another bite. I caught a second, smaller fish.
Then one got away.
Then one about the same size as the first was hooked. I got my uncle to reel that one in.
Then I caught another slightly smaller one.
Then I got slapped with a fish tail as my uncle pulled it into the boat.

Then we went back to my uncle's house, where I just had time to eat dinner before falling into a proverbial coma. My mom tried to wake me up, giving me the opportunity to use possibly the best nap excuse ever: "Leave me alone. I caught my own weight in fish today."

1 comment: