Friday, July 22, 2011

Psychic?

I think computers can read minds.

I've come to this conclusion based on a chain of events that seems to happen quite frequently with mine.

First, something will malfunction with the computer. Immediately suspecting a computer virus, I'll run whatever anti-virus software happens to be installed.

The anti-virus software will inevitably cause the computer to run at snail's pace, rendering it useless for the remainder of the virus check. I'll leave, thinking that it'll probably be finished by the time I need my computer again.

By the end of the day, when the software is only 10% finished scanning, I'll get sick of waiting and try to remedy the situation by myself. But then the anti-virus software will refuse to stop running.

I'll use Windows Task Manager to try and force the program to close a few times, getting consistently more frustrated with each failed attempt to end the program.

Finally, just as I'm mentally weighing the Costs vs. Benefits of throwing the stupid thing at the nearest wall, the computer magically starts working properly again.

Like I said, they can read minds. :P

1 comment:

  1. My life for the past ten years. Exactly like that.
    Except for the part where it starts magically working properly again. Never had that happen once. I have to fight and claw and plead for it to do anything.
    Usually though, I get all nerdy and try to solve the problem myself before I touch the anti-virus software, because after all, where's the fun in just starting a scan that will tie up your computer for three days and at the end of it give you a completely useless screen of 'warnings' when you can dig deep into system preferences and fix it yourself while braving the likelihood that you could very possibly trash the thing's directory first?

    ReplyDelete