Sunday, May 1, 2011

Today's Little Adventure

So, due to a mix up, I ended up at church an hour and a half before the service was scheduled to start. Our church does have Sunday School at that time, but, having a driver's license and a car at my disposal, I decided to do something stupid and Canadian instead- I would go on a Tim Horton's Run! (yay!).

The decision seemed to make perfect sense at the time: I was starving, I never go to Sunday School anyway because I sing during the services and practice runs at the same time so I thought it would be awkward going this once and then not coming back, and I'd just downloaded a bunch of new songs off of itunes, and frankly, singing along to them in my car just seemed irresistably fun. Also, I was really craving a maple donut and a butter caramel hot smoothie.

Intelligence, the tribe has spoken.
The smart portion of my brain (pictured in red) tried it's best to remind me that I had no idea where the nearest Tim Horton's was. Of course, the rest of my brain quickly countered its whining with a series of reasons to go ahead with the idea. It'd be spontaneous fun, I had a gift card for Tim's so I wouldn't have to pay, I live in Canada for goodness sakes, there's a Tim Horton's on practically every corner, I'd get to know the neighbourhood better, and don't forget the SPONTANEOUS FUN!

I was convinced. I hopped in my car and drove merrily off. For the first fifteen minutes, it was really fun. I hadn't yet located a Timmie's, but it was only a matter of time. The next fifteen minutes were a little less fun, as I accidentally found myself headed towards downtown, then towards the oil refineries on the outskirts of the city.

After that, the inevitable happened: the rush that comes with doing something stupid and unplanned started to wear off. I was driving blindly in circles, in the middle of the city. This was becoming a wild goose chase. Did all the Tim Horton's stores just decide to dissapear because I wanted to buy donuts from one?!?! Eventually, I looked at the clock and realised that I'd been driving around for almost an hour. I sighed. This clearly was not going to happen.

I went back to the church, and deciding to improvise at least on the hot smoothie front, made myself some hot chocolate in the church kitchen. My friend asked me how the Tim Horton's run was. I held up my styrofoam cup and told her it wasn't.

Later on, I went to lunch with a friend at a mall which I had driven by a few times in my earlier quest, thinking, of course, that where there are malls, there is usually a Tim's nearby.

We were pulling into the parking lot when she spotted it. A sign. Announcing that there was new Tim Horton's open...in the mall.

2 comments:

  1. Let me guess -- the mix-up was the power going out during the night and resetting your clock?
    That made me laugh though, because yesterday Brandon showed up at church at 11.45. He said he totally forgot that it actually starts at 10.45 and he didn't clue in until he got there, sat down, and went, 'Why is the pastor wrapping up his sermon already...?'
    Only Brandon.

    I'm with you on the 'lack' of Tim's though... how can one drive around for an hour and not find a Tim Horton's? That seems almost impossible...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not quite. I had to edit that part out of this story so that it wouldn't be super long, but I might do a "prequel" to this post later, because the events leading up to it could make an interesting story in themselves. If I don't get around to it, I'll tell you in our email if you remind me.
    That's funny. :)
    I know, I was surprised. But then, I would have found one five minutes down the road had I known where to look...

    ReplyDelete