Monday, May 23, 2011

The Hidden Message

One of the really awesome things about God is His ability to speak to us through unlikely scenarios.

For instance, I was watching The Green Hornet last night with my parents. Basically, the movie itself is half superhero flick, half satire (of superhero movies). The main character, Britt, is spoiled, egotistical, and has a temper and daddy issues. He's an antihero in every sense of the word. His "sidekick", Kato, is a genius, who knows kung fu (or something), plays piano like a prodogy, and can build four cars in two weeks.

 Britt is jealous and wants the spotlight, while Kato does his best not to let his immense talent get in the way of his friendship with Britt. Kato humbly accepts the role of sidekick, even though it's clear that Britt's egotism gets in the way of them being a truly effective team.

After watching the movie, I was amused, but feeling uneasy for some reason. Then it hit me: I'm Britt. The fact that the character's name is a shortened version of my own is in itself a funny coincidence. I never did like being called "Britt"; maybe the fact that it's a boy's name explains that. But I digress...

 God is so awesome, and without him, I'd be nothing. And yet, I still want to be the Superhero. I still want to be in charge. Even though God is so patient with me, I'm only truly effective in His kingdom when I submit to Him.

It amazes me that God is able to deliver a message that I need to hear through something as simple as a hollywood movie. Particularly, this movie, which clearly had entertaining a crowd, not religious allegory as it's core intention. God is amazing, and I'm fortunate to know Him. I would do well to remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment