Monday, May 16, 2011

Why I Don't Talk To People

I've been told that I'm well-written, but well-spoken I am not. In fact, I'm pretty much the queen of Foot-In-Mouthtopia. Case and point: today.

I've been suffering a bout of insomnia for the past few days. Which sucks, but with my usual day-to-day activities, I can suffer it out without too much of a problem. Unfortunately, one of my tasks this week at work was to drive trucks from the airport to a nearby repair shop so they could get oil changes.

Of course, this is not a safe activity when in three days you've had a total of maybe eight hours of sleep. So when I woke up this morning after yet another restless night, I knew that there was nothing for it, I would have to ask if I could drive the trucks another day.

I walked into an office, where about a dozen strangers stared at me. "Hi, I'm the new summer student employee.", I stammered out nervously. More staring. "I was supposed to drive trucks today.", I continued. A couple people nodded. "But I was wondering if there was any way I could do it later this week. I didn't sleep well last night, and so I don't think it would be safe for me to drive today."

"Yeah, that's fine.", one guy said. "Thank you.", I stammered as I opened the door to leave. "Uh huh." As I closed the door, I breathed a sigh of relief and thought to myself "There you go. Now you can go have a nice, safe day of paperwork".

Then, as I was walking down the hall to return to my desk, disaster struck.

It occurred to me that high school Grad was this weekend. Then it occurred to me how hung over I must have sounded to my coworkers whom I'd never met in the previous exchange. I cringed and blushed retrospectively. Too late now, I thought to myself.

But at least I finally have a work related story for my blog! :)

1 comment:

  1. I totally feel your pain... those things happened to me in youth group more times than I care to remember...

    By the way, I like the new background. :-)

    ReplyDelete