Monday, June 27, 2011

My Craptacular Day

When it rains, it pours, I guess. Today it metaphorically poured.

My morning started innocently enough, with me not wanting to get out of bed, but then eventually doing it anyway and going to work.

When I got there, it quickly became apparent that this was not going to be a good day. I stumbled sleepily out to the patio to water and care for the hanging baskets out there (one of my many duties as Random Crap Manager). As I went to pull the dead flower heads off of a petunia, a whole branch of flower came with it, much to my dismay. The plants were being destroyed by the frequent rainstorms we've been having lately. I wouldn't normally care, but since I'm charged with making sure they don't die, I really don't want them to...die.

After that dissapointment, I went in and started working on another project. I was to transfer papers from one set of binders to another. Except that I'm not technically authorized to enter the room with the first set of binders. This usually isn't a problem because they leave the door unlocked for me, but today it was locked. So I spent the majority of my morning waiting for people to let me in as I went in and out of the room.

After lunch, I was told that they had another task for me. Somewhat grateful to temporarily abandon the binder task, I went to find out what I was supposed to be doing. They wanted me to drive to Walmart and buy candy. I was like "okay, but where is Walmart?", to the person who explained the task to me. She pointed in the general direction of the corner of the room. "Oh, over there."

Of course, for some one who had never driven to this particular Walmart before, these directions weren't sufficient to even give me an inkling of where I was going. So I went on Google Maps, and wouldn't you know it? The walmart I was supposed to find wasn't even on there.

So off I went, with only a very vague general idea of where I was going. To make matters worse, I couldn't figure out how to work the radio in the company car. Fail. I ended up getting lost, but I did eventually make it to walmart in one peice.

Then came actually going in. I disliked walmart when it was just "Walmart". They were just boxes full of cheap merchandise to me. Then they "upgraded" to Super Walmart. Awesome. More of the same shoddy, poorly made crap that takes advantage of poverty to come into being in the first place . On top of that, the new Super Walmarts are veritable mazes. After twenty-some off minutes wandering aimlessly like the proverbial lost soul, I finally managed to locate the candy aisle. I proceeded to grudgingly purchase enough candy to keep the fat kid from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory satisfied for a week. And then I got lost again on the way back to the office.

Then, just for a nice little cherry on the cake, I got chased by a bee that turned out to be just a fly. Not impressed, fly.

When I got home, all I wanted to do was practice my guitar. When the internet was down, preventing me from going on the website I've been getting practice material from recently, I nearly lost it. I grabbed my guitar and pounded out some songs without even bothering to turn on the amplifier, screaming out some corresponding lyrics as I went.

It's funny how that always makes everything better. :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow... that definitely sucks (all of it)...
    I agree about Wal-Mart though -- I really can't stand Wal-Mart and all it stands for.
    That said, how is it even possible for a Super Wal-Mart to not be on Google Maps? I could see the absence of a Tim Horton's maybe, but Wal-Mart? (I know this has nothing to do with the post, but... seriously, Google?)
    Anyway...
    Hopefully you have a much better day tomorrow (er, later today, I guess). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the sympathy, but to be honest, I only posted this because I find it kind of funny how much yesterday sucked.
    It was so dumb. I searched "Walmart" and Holiday Inn popped up. I was like ?!?

    ReplyDelete