Wednesday, June 29, 2011

My Brilliant Idea

There are a lot of songs you shouldn't sing at your grandmother's birthday party and very few that you should.

I know this.

I know this because I've spent about a month and a half trying to find an acceptable song to do just that with.

They're all either too depressing, or impossible to play and sing simultaneously (unless you're pro, which I am decidedly not), or too testosterone filled (by which I mean the singer is a man whose range I cannot imitate without squeeking and/or growling- I'm looking at you, Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah!), or too completely sappy and unoriginal (that means you, Wind Beneath My Wings).

It got so bad that I tried to write my own song.

That didn't go well.

Actually, in one sense, it did go well. I think the song is hilarious. But it sounds like something Buddy Wassisname and the Other Fellas (this singing comedy troupe from Newfoundland, FYI) might write.

Don't get me wrong, I love Buddy, but according to my grandmother, he brings shame to Newfoundlanders. So that's out.

I eventually settled on How Great Thou Art, because she likes southern gospel and the chording is fairly easy.

The only problem is that I'm still somewhat inexperienced at playing my guitar in front of people, so I tend to freeze up and mess up even the easiest and most well-rehearsed of chord progressions every now and then... what to do about that? I wondered...

Then I came up with an EXCELLENT idea.

I can purposefully choose a song my grandmother probably wouldn't know! That way, if I screw it up (and statistics say I will), she won't know how it's supposed to sound anyway! Perfect.

Like I said, brilliant. :)

2 comments:

  1. I like how you tagged this with 'anti-fail.'
    Also, that song (the one you said you wrote) sounds like it might be interesting... probably better than my recent attempts at songwriting anyway... :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a little more sympathy for my grandmother than to play that song in public. It's basically a musical roast that I wrote because I was bored at work. XD

    ReplyDelete