Saturday, June 11, 2011

Sartorial Saturdays: Souvenir Tees Preamble

I have a confession to make: I love souvenir t-shirts. Whether I go on a trip or to a convention or concert I always buy a t-shirt as a reminder of the experience. I was there. See?!?!

The problem? I never wear them. When I'm on vacation, it feels tacky. Like I just scream "tourist". After I get home, it still feels tacky. Like I'm bragging about where I've been. Wearing a band tee sometimes makes me feel like a crazed fangirl of whoever's face/name is on the shirt. And even if (read when) I am, I don't want to feel like people see me that way.

Then there's the problem that these t-shirts generally don't fit perfectly. Often, you buy them from a crowded, hastily set up kiosk and don't have the opportunity to try them on first. As a result, the fit is a bit looser then the rest of your shirts, but still somewhat flattering at best. At worst, these shirts can be anything from too short to way too big, too boxy to fitted in all the wrong places. It's always a gamble.

The worst part is that I feel like everyone is staring at my shirt all day. No one notices me, just Mickey Mouse, the convention slogan, or the long list of places "X" Band has been on tour this year. Almost like the t-shirt is wearing me instead of the other way around. And that looks as bad as it feels.

The mission? To incorporate some of the commemorative t-shirts I've collected into outfits that make me feel if not polished and fashionable, at least somewhat presentable while wearing them in my day to day life. Hopefully by the end of this I'll have some ideas about how to make use of my souvenir tees.

Stay Tuned for the result...

No comments:

Post a Comment