Sunday, June 19, 2011

iPod Win

As much as I love my iPod, it and I generally don't agree on music. I usually prefer upbeat, rock anthems, while my iPod tends to favor any filler tracks that happen to sneak on there (I generally delete them once I notice they're there). And then, when I'm in the mood for something a little more subdued, what should come on but the rock anthems I would have loved at any other time.

Which is what makes those rare occasions when my iPod and I agree so darned special. I've noticed that these amazing moments tend to fall into three categories:

The Perfect Fit:

Staring out the window, watching snow melt to the Beatle's Here Comes the Sun? Yes, please.

A sunset bike ride to the tune of Coldplay's ClocksHow perfect.

The LOL:

When Bon Jovi's Livin' on a Prayer comes on while I'm driving to church, and ends just as I pull into the parking lot, you can bet I'm loving it.

When I'm driving in the pouring rain, I can't not smile at my iPod's downright witty selection of Drowning Man by U2. Sure, the lyrics are somewhat irrelevant to my present situation, but just the title makes me want to laugh.

And what better song is there to accompany the ruthless tossing out of your Dad's life work (hey...boss' orders) than U2's Seconds (of which, a predominant line is "It takes a second to say goodbye")? Even though I know that the song's actually about the Cold War, I can't help smiling at the inadvertant perfection.

Good Job, iPod:

These are the most illusive incidents, but also the most amazing. As the end of the current song approaches, you fantasize about how awesome it would be if a particular song were to play next, but for whatever reason you can't set it up so that it does yourself. So, you leave it up to the iPod, knowing that the odds are firmly against it. Like 800 to 1 against it for me, and even more remote for most people.

Then, against all odds, the song you were thinking of is indeed the next to be played. I've made a habit of thanking my iPod for its impeccable taste and apparent mind-reading abilities when this happens, even though I fully realise this probably qualifies me as insane.

But I can't help it. In those moments, everything just feels so right. I crank the volume and sing along as loudly as possible. If I hit a red light, it's time to rock out until some one sees me and I have to smile in an embarrassed way at them and stare straight ahead until the light turns green. Or until the light just turns green.

It's so cool when the music you listen to seems to fit your life because it's just like having a soundtrack. You're not just in the imaginary movie in your head, it's YOUR movie. YOU are the star. And for a moment, you can live in that fantasy and enjoy your perfect, imaginary limelight, full of adoring fans, but free from paparazzi and stalkers. Of course, when the next song your ipod chooses is a dud, the illusion is shattered until next time and you're back to being a plain Jane (John), but for the moment, just enjoy the feeling. :)

3 comments:

  1. The situation you describe under 'Good job, iPod' happens to me all the time with the radio. I distinctly remember one day correctly predicting what song would come next for six in a row. I was starting to creep myself out...
    And I totally agree with that last paragraph. Only I'm usually the one doing the music choosing so of course it always works out -- it just takes half an hour to get to that point because I'm so indecisive. It kind of sucks sometimes...

    PS -- The title of that Beatles song reminded me of this PFR song that always makes me think of you... (well, except for the gargling part at the end)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58ANeTSqpic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I usually just let my ipod choose songs for me and skip them if it's particularly awful...(but then, I mostly use my ipod while in the car, so choosing myself would be dangerous). I rarely listen to the radio, even though I'm thinking I might do it for a few days this week just to get caught up on any new music that might be about...

    Also, nice song(except the gargling part- that's kind of gross). I actually think I've heard it done by some one else before...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'd revert to shuffling too if I used my iPod in a vehicle I'm driving -- I've considered setting that up in my van but haven't yet.

    I didn't know the gargling part even existed -- it wasn't on the greatest hits album I have the song from, so as I was listening to it on that video I was like 'what the heck...?'
    It's possible that someone else has done it; I wouldn't know. I think PFR wrote it though, so I assume was theirs originally...

    ReplyDelete